School-Based Prevention Work with the Latino Community
Individuals attending this session will gain better understanding of the intricacies of providing prevention services to Latino students.
This session will provide information about identifying and understanding trauma in the Latino community. Many Latino children experience common childhood stressors, but in addition, they also experience stressors specific to their community. These stressors along with education barriers can negatively impact this population’s ability to succeed in school. Gained knowledge of differences between Latino and mainstream cultures, differences among diverse Latino cultures/countries, and traumas specific to Latino children will offer a framework to provide effective school-based prevention in the Latino community.
- Learn about and understand trauma in Latino communities
- Identify traumas specific to Latino culture
- Understand differences among Latino countries and cultures
- Understand barriers and disparities specific to the Latino experience
- Recognize the prevention needs of Latino students
- Understand Latino families’ limitations of awareness of prevention
Maria Piombo, Ed.D., LPCC-S
Director Child & Family Treatment Center
Central Clinic Behavioral Health
This webinar is provided at no cost.
PF! will be applying for Prevention, Health Education, and Social Work CEUs